Biofloc fish farming is a method of aquaculture that utilizes a system of water treatment that involves the cultivation of beneficial microorganisms in the fish tank. This method is used to improve water quality, increase fish growth and health, and reduce the amount of water needed for fish farming.
- Water Quality: Biofloc fish farming uses beneficial microorganisms to break down fish waste, uneaten food, and other organic matter in the water. This helps to reduce the levels of ammonia and nitrite, which are harmful to fish, and also increases the levels of dissolved oxygen in the water.
- Increased Growth and Health: The beneficial microorganisms in the biofloc system provide a natural food source for the fish, which can lead to increased growth and improved health.
- Reduced Water Use: Biofloc fish farming uses significantly less water than traditional fish farming methods, as the water is recycled and reused within the system.
- Cost-Effective: Biofloc fish farming is relatively low-cost as it does not require expensive water treatment equipment and the fish waste is used as a food source for the fish.
- Suitable for small scale and indoor farming: Biofloc system can be used in small-scale and indoor fish farming setups, making it ideal for urban and indoor fish farming.
- Versatility: Biofloc system can be used to culture different species of fish, shrimp, and even crustaceans.
However, it's important to note that biofloc fish farming requires a high level of management and technical expertise to maintain water quality, balance the microbial population, and to ensure the health and growth of the fish.
What is Biofloc Fish Farming?
Biofloc fish farming is an innovative method developed to improve the quality of production of the fishing industry. In earlier times, people used the open pond farming method, which requires expensive water exchange systems. But with the introduction of this technology not only treats waste, and converts it into useful nutrition for fishes and shellfish with limited or zero water exchange, but is also a cost-effective method. The biofloc technology helps in maintaining the higher C: N ratio, which provides maximum productivity. Plus, it is an eco-friendly technique that boosts aquaculture.
Composition of Biofloc:
The biofloc comprises microorganisms such as bacteria, algae, fungi, detritus, and others, which serve as a protein-rich feed to aquatic animals. This method uses sunlight to convert unused feed and excreta into natural food. Large flocks can be seen by the naked eye. Biofloc has a good nutritional value as dry weight protein ranges from 25-50 percent, fat ranges from 0.5-15 percent.
It also has a good source of phosphorus. A variety of freshwater fish species, such as tilapia, carp, major, Anabas, phantasies can be easily reared by this method. With the use of Biofloc, the water quality is enhanced and output is maximized without harming the environment.
Advantages of Biofloc Fish Farming :
Let's have a closer view of the advantages of this method. If you have read the above information carefully, you would have noticed that flocks are a rich source of protein and phosphorus, which help in getting the essential nutrients required for the fish's growth. This technique also helps in improving the water quality. It reduces larval development and increases the growth rate of cultured species.
Moreover, the system uses limited or zero water exchange, which makes the operational cost avoidable. This is also an easy installation process for farmers, as it requires much less space than the traditional method of fish farming.
Disadvantages of Biofloc Fish Farming:
As we all are well aware of the fact that everything has its pros and cons. Let's see what features of biofloc farming hinder its growth. This technique requires constant mixing and aerating of aquaculture water by farmers, hence, leading to a rise in energy requirements. The farmers also need to monitor the health of fishes closely as the nitrite accumulation in the pond may have a ridiculous negative effect on the fish. The alkalinity levels should be checked regularly to ensure a high yield in biofloc fish farming.
Henceforth, we have rounded up the negative and positive effects of biofloc technology. The technology can help farmers in producing a high-quality yield at a low operating cost and is also an environmentally-friendly process but requires a lot of attention to generate a good nutrition value and health of the fish.
I hope you must have understood what biofloc fish farming is and why there is a need for sustainable fish farming.