North Goa is a popular tourist destination located in the western Indian state of Goa. With its picturesque beaches, vibrant nightlife, and rich cultural heritage, North Goa attracts thousands of tourists every year. Whether you are a first-time visitor or a seasoned traveler, there is always something new to explore in this charming region.
If you are planning a trip to North Goa, you might be wondering where to start. With so many things to see and do, it can be overwhelming to plan your itinerary. That's why we have created this ultimate travel guide to North Goa, so you can make the most of your trip and experience everything this beautiful region has to offer.
The easiest way to reach North Goa is by air. The nearest airport is the Dabolim Airport, which is located about 30 kilometers from Panaji, the capital city of Goa. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach your destination.
If you prefer to travel by train, the nearest railway station is Thivim, which is located about 23 kilometers from Panaji. From the railway station, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach your destination.
Where to Stay
North Goa offers a wide range of accommodation options, ranging from budget hostels to luxurious beach resorts. Some of the popular areas to stay in North Goa are:
- Calangute: This is one of the most popular tourist destinations in North Goa, known for its beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife. There are plenty of hotels and resorts in Calangute to suit every budget.
- Baga: Another popular destination in North Goa, Baga is known for its lively atmosphere and stunning beaches. You will find plenty of accommodation options in Baga, ranging from budget hostels to luxury resorts.
- Anjuna: This small village in North Goa is known for its hippie culture and relaxed vibe. If you are looking for a peaceful retreat, Anjuna is the perfect place to stay.
- Panaji: If you prefer to stay in the city, Panaji offers plenty of options for accommodation. You will find a range of hotels, guesthouses, and apartments in the capital city of Goa.
Things to Do
- Explore the Beaches: North Goa is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in India, and exploring them should be at the top of your to-do list. Some of the popular beaches to visit in North Goa are:
- Calangute Beach: This is one of the most popular beaches in North Goa, known for its golden sands and crystal-clear waters. You can try water sports like parasailing and jet skiing at Calangute Beach.
- Baga Beach: Another popular destination, Baga Beach is known for its lively atmosphere and water sports activities. You can also take a boat ride to see dolphins at Baga Beach.
- Anjuna Beach: This small beach is known for its relaxed vibe and hippie culture. You can try yoga or meditation classes at Anjuna Beach.
- Vagator Beach: This secluded beach is perfect for a peaceful retreat. You can enjoy stunning views of the Arabian Sea from Vagator Beach.
2. Visit the Forts: North Goa has a rich cultural heritage, and there are several forts and historical monuments to explore in the region. Some of the popular forts to visit in North Goa are:
- Aguada Fort: This 17th-century fort is located near the Aguada Beach and is a popular tourist attraction. You can enjoy panoramic views of the sea from the Aguada Fort.
- Chapora Fort: This 16th-century fort is located near the Vagator Beach and offers stunning views of the sea. You might recognize it from the Bollywood movie Dil Chahta Hai.
3. Experience the Nightlife: North Goa is known for its vibrant nightlife, and there are plenty of bars, clubs, and restaurants to explore. Some of the popular nightlife destinations in North Goa are:
- Tito's: This iconic club in Baga is a popular destination for party-goers. You can dance the night away to the latest Bollywood and international hits at Tito's.
- Club Cubana: This exclusive club is located on a hilltop in Arpora and offers stunning views of the city. You need to be a member or a guest of a member to enter Club Cubana.
- Curlies: This beachside shack in Anjuna is a popular destination for music lovers. You can enjoy live music and dance performances at Curlies.
4. Try Water Sports: North Goa offers plenty of opportunities to try water sports like parasailing, jet skiing, and banana boat rides. Some of the popular water sports destinations in North Goa are:
- Calangute Beach: This is one of the best places to try water sports activities in North Goa. You can rent a jet ski or go parasailing at Calangute Beach.
- Baga Beach: Another popular destination for water sports activities, Baga Beach offers banana boat rides and other fun activities.
- Candolim Beach: This secluded beach is perfect for water sports activities like jet skiing and parasailing.
5. Visit the Temples: North Goa has a rich religious heritage, and there are several temples and churches to visit in the region. Some of the popular temples to visit in North Goa are:
- Shri Manguesh Temple: This ancient temple is located in Priol and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. You can admire the beautiful architecture and carvings at the Shri Manguesh Temple.
- Shri Shantadurga Temple: This temple is located in Kavlem and is dedicated to the goddess Shantadurga. You can witness the daily rituals and offerings at the Shri Shantadurga Temple.
- Mahalaxmi Temple: This temple is located in Bandora and is dedicated to the goddess Mahalaxmi. You can admire the intricate carvings and sculptures at the Mahalaxmi Temple.
6. Shop at the Flea Markets: North Goa is known for its vibrant flea markets, where you can shop for souvenirs, handicrafts, and clothing. Some of the popular flea markets to visit in North Goa are:
- Anjuna Flea Market: This market is held every Wednesday in Anjuna and is a popular destination for tourists. You can shop for clothing, jewelry, and souvenirs at the Anjuna Flea Market.