Gayatri Mantra or Prayer ? For clarity of thought or soul? Simple yoga at home for the soul? Basic yoga or methods of meditation? About yoga asana or power mantra? History of yoga mantra?
Let's find answers to some of the above questions and demystify the ancient history of one of the most revered Mantra- Gayatri Mantra and its meaning.
Gayatri is said to be the five faced Goddess, she rules the five senses and five Pranas. She is said to be the protector of mankind and who so ever seeks her refuge and recites this mantra. She is also referred as Savitri in some ancient Indian texts or Vedas.
This timeless wisdom has deep meaning and is over 6000 years old, first mentioned in Rigveda Samhita and Sage Vishwamitra composed it. Gayatri mantra or Savitri mantra is dedicated to the Sun deity.
This mantra is also referred to as “Mother of the Vedas”. Bhagavad Gita also mentions this mantra; since Lord Krishna had decreed to the great warrior Arjuna “Among all the mantras, I am the Gayatri”.
Word-by-Word =Meaning of Gayatri Mantra
Om-Bhur =Brahma-embodiment of vital spiritual force (Pran)
Bhuvah-Svah=Destroyer of sufferings-embodiment of happiness
Tat-Savitur-Varenyam=That-bright like Sun-best choiceset
Bhargo-Devasya-Dheemahi=Destroyer of sins-divine-may imbibe (apply to meditation)
Dhiyo-Yo-Nah-Prachodayaat=(prayer to God)Intellect-who-our-may inspire
How many time to chant the Gayatri mantra and when?
It is said that chanting it 1008 times or 108 times at 4 am to 8 am was a common practice followed by many in the ancient times. Recited by billions of Hindus family and Hindu Religion every day due to time crunch at-least 10 times a day is the common norm these days.
Now, Know The Benefits of Gayatri Mantra
- Gayatri Mantra is a complete concept that embodies three core spiritual growth values –Stotra (Singing praise of GOD), Prathna (Prayer) and Dhyana (Meditation). Effects of meditation and experience of connectivity to higher consciousness is improved.
- Ideally, when chanted 108 times, the syllable positively affects the energy centres or chakras. Emphasis should be on correct enunciation and pronunciation.
- Regular Jap (Recitation) of Gayatri Mantra is said to removes all obstacles in life.
- Improves concentration and aids the meditation purpose.
- Intellect shines through, power of speech improves and ignorance can be overcome by reciting this omnipotent mantra.
- This mantra is said to be the key to invoke the Goddess of light who illuminate our path as we progress on our spiritual path and move closer to the higher consciousness.
- How to avoid anger; a common problem these days…ideal to start the journey of ‘self’ using this powerful mantra
- Repeated chanting of the Gayatri Mantra with proper bhava and correct understanding of its meaning crucial.