9 Home Remedies For Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigeminal neuralgia is a painful neurological condition that affects the trigeminal nerve (the 5th cranial nerve), which is one of the largest nerves present in the head. This neurological disorder is observed more in women than in men. It becomes more common with age and is rare in people under 40 years of age.
Symptoms Of Trigeminal Neuralgia
Common symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia may present with one or more of these patterns:
- Painful episodes are sudden, severe, causing shooting or jabbing /stabbing pain, and that may make you feel like an electric shock-like pain.
- Spontaneous painful attacks or attacks triggered by certain activities, such as chewing, speaking, brushing teeth or even touching the face.
- Bouts of pain which may last from a few seconds to several minutes.
- Pain may last for days, weeks, months, or longer. You may experience a constant ache, burning sensation that may be experienced before it turns into the spasm-like pain.
- Pain is experienced in areas that are supplied by the trigeminal nerve that include jaw, lips, cheek, gums, teeth, or less often your eye and forehead.
- The pain may affect one side of your face at a time, though it may rarely affect both the sides of your face.
- The pain due to trigeminal neuralgia may affect one spot or may spread in a wider pattern.
- Trigeminal neuralgia attacks tend to turn more frequent and intense over time.
9 Home Remedies For Treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Heat Or Cold Application:
Apply heat to the affected area by pressing a hot water bottle or any other appropriate hot compress to the painful spot. Taking a hot shower or bath may relieve you of the symptoms. Cold applications like cold water or ice water application may also help you obtain relief.
- Application Of Pressure:
Applying pressure with the entire hand to the affected area can help relieve you of the discomforting symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Holy Basil:
Holi basil is commonly known as ‘Tulsi’ or “Elixir of Life”. It acts as a stress–regulator and inhibits the nerve pain in the cases of trigeminal neuralgia. It is an effective herb that has been used for over 3000 years due to its incredible healing powers. The plant is loaded with minerals and vitamins, such as sodium, manganese, vitamin A, and vitamin K.
Peppermint essential oil acts as a pain reliever and helps in relaxing the muscles and controls the muscle spasms. You may also use peppermint candies.
Ginger oil comprises a compound known as zingibain, which is known to have potent anti-inflammatory properties and it counteracts the inflammation. The use of ginger oil may help alleviate the pain which occurs due to the inflammatory conditions.
- Chamomile & Lavender Essential Oils:
Borneol, a compound present in lavender and chamomile essential oils, may help minimize the inflammation and pain resulting due to trigeminal neuralgia. So, you may use these two beneficial essential oils.
- Dietary Modifications:
Certain vitamins, such as vitamin B12, minerals, etc. can help alleviate the discomforting trigeminal neuralgia symptoms. They lower the inflammatory responses and may help to form a stronger immune system.
Meditation doesn’t reduce the pain instantly, but it helps bring the mind to a state beyond pain. The art of mindfulness may help you take your mind away from focusing on the pain and thereby obtain relief. This can really help with Trigeminal Neuralgia Cure.
According to yoga, pain is the manifestation of excessive speed of the vital energy, which is also called prana. When we are lost into thoughts in times of stress, all the prana is pulled in the brain. Excess prana in the brain leads to the construction and blockage of prana nadis (channels). Pain is experienced when too many sensory nerves get triggered. Here are certain relaxing techniques that can help you obtain relief.
- Slowing down this speed of the mind helps alleviate the pain. This can be achieved through deep slow breathing.
- Alter speed of fast and slow breathing followed by a deep rest.
- Defocus the point of pain by increasing awareness to a wider area.
- Perform Surya Namaskar 10 a day. Also, practice Kapalabhati (forceful exhalation)
- Nadisuddhi – (Alternative nostril breathing)
- Exercises: Perform exercises such as :
- Shoulder rotation with hands on the shoulders
- Neck movements forward, backward bending & side movement.
Now that you know these easy yet effective home remedies for trigeminal neuralgia, you may follow them if you happen to suffer from the discomfort of this neurological condition. But, before that do consult a Homeopathy doctor for Trigeminal Neuralgia or good doctor if you experience any of the above symptoms.
Visit Amee Maternity and Surgical Hospital one of the best hospitals located in Dahisar, Mumbai providing world-class facilities and advanced services.