The PM WANI scheme refers to the public Wi-Fi network service. The Public Data Office Aggregators will be responsible for setting up these systems in the country to make the Wi-Fi services available to everyone. These services will be provided by the Public Data Offices or the PDOs of every region
This central government's scheme- the PM Wani Scheme is an attempt by the government to expand WIFI connectivity across the nation. Public Wi-Fi networks enable boost disposable incomes of small and medium entrepreneurs. The scheme would enable small and medium businesses to provide WiFi service. Public Wi-Fi network will boost disposable incomes of small and medium entrepreneurs as well as ensure everyone gets low-cost and flawless internet connectivity
What is this new Government Initiative?
The government's mission is to provide a platform to enable such seamless wireless (WIFI) connection for everyone, everywhere through the PM Wi-Fi Access Network Interface or PM WANI scheme and to entrust every individual to have access to the internet connection and all of the services. The initiative aims to expand wireless internet connectivity in the nation.
The operational ecosystem of PM-WANI will include the following:
- App Provider: Develop an app for PM Wani registration, and authentication of users and help discover PM WANI compliant Wi-Fi hotspots in the neighbourhood.
- Central Registry: Central Registry aims to maintain the details of PDOAs, PDOs and app providers. The Central Registry will be maintained by the Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DoT).
- Public Data Office (PDO): Public Data Office will establish, maintain and operate PM WANI Wi-Fi Access Points and provide internet services to users by procuring from telecom or internet service providers.
- Public Data Office Aggregator (PDOA): Public Data Office Aggregator will offer key authorization and accounting services to PDOs. They facilitate PDOs in providing services to the end consumer.
What is PM WANI Wi-Fi scheme?
PM Wani Scheme or the Prime Minister’s Wi-Fi Access Network Interface is aiming to bring large-scale deployment of Wi-Fi access points throughout the nation to improve digital connectivity options.
“Historic PM-WANI (Wi-Fi Access Network Interface) scheme that has been cleared by the Cabinet today will revolutionize the tech world and significantly improve WiFi availability across the length and breadth of India. It will further ‘Ease of Doing Business and ‘Ease of Living.” Tweet by PM Narendra Modi.
How Does PM WANI Wi-Fi scheme works?
Anyone who desires to become a PDO sets up a Wi-Fi access point by procuring network services from a service provider.
The PDOs are registered with a PDOAs that is registered on the App.
Now, any subscriber in the vicinity of a Wi-Fi hotspot, after registering and authenticating themselves on the App can connect to PDOs.
This request is sent to the relevant PDOA who, after authenticating the user, will provide them with the requisite Wi-Fi access.
Benefits of becoming a PDO include
- Low Cost: Just a PM WANI compliant modem with internet from any ISP is the only requirement.
- No KYC of users required: User validation & KYC are maintained in the Central registry of C-DoT.
- Quick Access: Easy enabling of customers on flexible tariff plans at a per GB usage rate.
- Revenue opportunity: Disposable incomes to small and medium entrepreneurs
How to Access PM WANI WI-FI Network
The soft launch of these public-friendly services was done by Shri Puneet Chawla Chairman and Managing Director, RailTel., at a programme held here today. Dr Rajkumar Upadhyay Executive Director and Chairman of the Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT), an autonomous Telecom R&D centre of DoT, Govt. of India was specially present on the occasion.
To access this WiFi network, presently android based Mobile App named ‘Wi-DOT’ can be used which is available on Google Play Store. Mobile App can be downloaded from the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.cdot.wani.app.android.tnt
This app has been developed in close coordination with C-DOT. This method of accessing Wi-Fi through a ‘ mobile app’ would be in addition to the existing method of accessing WiFi at these stations through the conventional method of selecting RailWire Service Set Identifier(SSID). PMWANI-based access will facilitate ease of use through one-time Know Your Customer (KYC) to avoid One Time Password (OTP) based authentication, every time one tries to use WANI-based Public WiFi. RailTel’sWiFi network is now spread across 6102 Rly Stations across India has 17, 792 WiFi hotspots, and is still growing.
Later, PM-WANI-based access to RailTel’s public Wi-Fi services would be extended to all 6102 Railway Stations (where Wi-Fi facility is already available) in a phased manner by the end of June 2022 (total of 1000 Stations by 10th June, 3000 Stations by 20th June and all 6102 by 30th June’22).